Vaping has become increasingly popular in recent years, and the industry is showing no signs of slowing down. In fact, the global vaping market is projected to reach $61 billion by 2025.
There are a number of reasons for the vaping boom. One reason is that vaping is seen as a way to quit smoking. Vaping devices can deliver nicotine, which is the addictive substance in cigarettes, without the harmful chemicals that are present in cigarette smoke.
Another reason for the popularity of vaping is the wide range of flavors and nicotine strengths that are available in vape juice. This allows vapers to customize their experience to their own preferences.
Finally, vaping is generally more affordable than smoking. Vaping devices and vape juice are generally less expensive than cigarettes.
The vaping industry in New Zealand
The vaping industry is also booming in New Zealand. In 2021, the New Zealand vaping market was estimated to be worth $250 million.
The growth of the vaping industry in New Zealand is being driven by a number of factors, including:
- The high rate of smoking in New Zealand: New Zealand has one of the highest rates of smoking in the developed world. In 2021, 11.7% of New Zealand adults smoked cigarettes daily.
- The increasing popularity of vaping as a way to quit smoking: In 2021, 10% of New Zealand smokers who had tried to quit in the past year had used vaping to help them quit.
- The wide range of vape products and flavors available in New Zealand: There are a wide range of vape products and flavors available in New Zealand, from disposable vapes to pod vapes to pen vapes to mod vapes.
- The relatively affordable price of vape products in New Zealand: Vape products in New Zealand are generally more affordable than cigarettes.
The benefits of vaping
There are a number of potential benefits to vaping, including:
- Reduced risk of lung cancer and other smoking-related diseases: Vaping does not produce the same harmful chemicals as cigarette smoke, so it is less harmful to your health.
- Increased control over your nicotine intake:Vape juice is available in a variety of nicotine strengths, so you can choose the one that is right for you.
- More affordable than smoking: Vaping devices and vape juice are generally less expensive than cigarettes.
- More convenient than smoking: Vaping does not produce ash or smoke, so it is more convenient than smoking.
The risks of vaping
While vaping is generally considered to be less harmful than smoking, there are still some risks associated with it. These risks include:
- Nicotine addiction: Nicotine is an addictive substance, so vaping can lead to nicotine addiction.
- Lung damage: Vaping can damage your lungs, especially if you use high-nicotine vape juice or if you vape frequently.
- Other health problems: Vaping has been linked to a number of other health problems, such as heart disease, stroke, and cancer.
How to vape safely
If you are going to vape, there are a few things you can do to minimize the risks:
- Use a low-wattage device: High-wattage devices can produce more harmful chemicals.
- Use a low-nicotine vape juice: High-nicotine vape juice can be more addictive and can damage your lungs more easily.
- Vape less frequently: Vaping frequently can damage your lungs.
- Avoid using flavored vape juice: Flavored vape juice may contain harmful chemicals.
- Keep your vape device clean: A dirty vape device can produce more harmful chemicals.
The vaping industry is booming, and there are a number of reasons for this. Vaping is seen as a way to quit smoking, it is available in a wide range of flavors and nicotine strengths, and it is generally less harmful than smoking. However, there are still some risks associated with vaping, such as nicotine addiction, lung damage, and other health problems. If you are going to vape, there are a few things you can do to minimize the risks.
Additional tips for vaping safely
- Only purchase vape juice from reputable retailers.
- Avoid using vape juice that contains diacetyl or other harmful chemicals.
- Keep your vape device clean and in good working order.
- Be aware of the signs of nicotine overdose, such as nausea, vomiting, and dizziness.
- Do not vape if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- New Zealand Health Promotion Agency: Vaping
- Ministry of Health: Vaping